Monday, September 24, 2012

Hot Cocoa




I'm a little sad to admit that it might be time to put away the flip-flops. But on the bright side, it's time to take the hoodies out from the back of the closet! It was in the 40's this morning when I took my daughter to the bus stop, and there was a nice chill to the air. If I haven't mentioned it before, I love Fall. The smells, the colors, the clothes, the food, the drinks... Speaking of drinks, I decided to make some hot cocoa as a special treat after dinner tonight. I picked up a container of Espresso Powder while out shopping yesterday, so I needed an excuse to break it open and try it out! I was not disappointed at all, it definitely added a nice kick to my drink. If you don't like the taste of coffee, don't worry, it doesn't have an overpowering coffee flavor. It does help to bring out the chocolate flavor a little more though. I've put the recipe at the bottom of this post, so feel free to try it for yourself...   :0)


 Here we start with some of the finest ingredients in my kitchen ;)
Sugar, Cocoa, Espresso Powder, and Vanilla.

 Whisk all the dry ingredients together to combine and get out any lumps.

In a separate container, heat up your milk. 

 Add just enough hot milk to the cocoa mix to combine.

 Once it is all smooth, add the rest of the milk.


Mix it all together!

 Ahhh, vanilla. I add it to just about anything sweet. 

And there you go- Hot Cocoa! It would be totally fine to drink it like this, but why not make it a little more special.....

 Whipped cream. Homemade. It's really not hard, and so worth it!

 Scoop some fresh whipped cream on top, and sprinkle with some cinnamon-sugar. 


Hot Cocoa
*2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
*2 Tablespoons sugar
*1 Tablespoon espresso powder
*1 1/3 cups milk
*1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix dry ingredients. Heat milk in microwave for 2 1/2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Add hot milk to cocoa mix and stir until smooth and well combined. Add vanilla. Top with whipped cream and cinnamon, if desired... If you use a large mug, this would be one serving, or you could split it into two smaller cups.


Whipped Cream
*1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
*1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
*1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Mix all ingredients in chilled bowl. Using a chilled whisk, mix until set. 


Enjoy,
Erin


2 comments:

  1. Very well done! But if I hate coffee, should I just skip the espresso powder or do I have to make up the difference with the other ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just skip the espresso powder, no other adjustments need to be made. :)

      Delete