Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sweetheart Cookies


Who says Peanut Butter Blossoms are just for Christmas?? Well, to be honest, as much as I LOVE those cookies, around Christmas is the only time I seem to ever make them. We can't have that, can we?!? So instead of the Kiss on top, I decided to put a Dove heart chocolate. I always pick up a bag of those (or 3) every year around this time. I gotta say- I love the Valentine's Day candy section! So I went to Target all set to pick up a bag of Dove chocolate hearts, when what do I see- a bag of Hershey chocolate hearts also! What to do, what to do... Clearly, I had to buy a bag of both- for research sake, of course! Usually I am a loyal Hershey fan, I love their products, their chocolate, and a visit to Hershey, PA, is always a blast and one of my favorite places to go.... 

The match up... The Hershey chocolates were slightly larger, and I found them to be a bit creamier. The Dove has a better presentation, in my opinion. And I love reading the sayings inside of the Dove wrapper- it's like a chocolate fortune cookie! 

After tasting them both, chocolate alone and in cookie, I do have to say that I'm a Hershey-girl at heart. Something about the distinctive Hershey flavor that I just find comforting. I wouldn't kick either of them out of the kitchen, though!!

For the cookies, I used the same peanut butter cookie dough as the one I made here. It's my go-to peanut butter cookie dough. I used a small cookie scoop, rolled the dough into a ball shape, tossed in a bowl of granulated sugar, and baked at 350* for about 8 minutes. Immediately after removing from the oven, I lightly pressed a piece of chocolate into the center of the cookie. Let the cookie cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack, or you might have a cookie catastrophe (cookie falling apart). 

If you have any leftover chocolates (what? It could happen!), here is an easy Valentine's themed decoration to use them for....

Simply fill a mason jar with chocolates- here I used a mix of Dove Hearts, Hershey Hearts, and Kisses. To add a little extra touch, I put a cupcake liner decorated with hearts under the lid. Sweet, simple, and tasty! I've also discovered that if I see my husband going for this jar for a snack, all I have to say is, "Hey, I'm using those for a recipe!" and he leaves it alone. I'll have to remember that!! 

What do you guys think about the Dove-Hershey match up?? You might want to go to the nearest store and buy a bag. Of each.... And don't forget- Valentine's Day is just over two weeks away! Have you made any plans yet??

~Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment