Monday, October 14, 2013

Mac & Cheese


Hey look, a blog post that doesn't involve sugar! What is wrong with me?!? I am starting to get into making actual dinners and this is one of the few that I do well. I think my family would agree, judging by the excitement when they see me making it. It also reheats well (if there is any leftover to reheat!). This recipe is the way I usually make it, but there are some other ways to change it up a bit- last time I used 2% milk and lowfat cheese, and honestly, I didn't notice much of a difference- so there's a "lighter" option for you. I also like to use different pastas instead of just plain ol' elbow macaroni- ziti is good, or farfale, or bowties...

Mac & Cheese
*box of dry pasta
*1/4 cup butter
*2 Tbsp flour
*1 tsp mustard powder
*1 tsp pepper
*2 cups milk
*8oz shredded cheese (I always use a colby/jack blend!)
*8oz velvetta cheese

Prepare box of pasta as directed on the box, drain, and set aside. Using a large pot (so it's big enough to handle all that mac & cheese!), melt the butter.  Once the butter has melted, add the flour, mustard powder, and pepper, stirring until fully incorporated. Add the milk and stir well. Add the cheeses and stir constantly until it is all melted and combined. Add the cooked pasta to the cheese mix, stir, and continue cooking on the stovetop just for about 3 minutes to make sure everything is combined well. Transfer the mac & cheese to a casserole dish and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, covered with foil. Enjoy!

~Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment